Monday, June 16, 2008

Little garden update



Well, it got hot enough here that no more tomatoes would start growing, so we only got 5, one still ripening, but here are the four that are ripe. They taste really good. I went to a gardening class the other night and learned what veggies are good to plant when, so maybe we can expand our garden this fall. You can have a fall, winter, and spring garden here. That is so cool! It is just to hot now for anything to grow. We didn't get anything from our cucumbers or squash. However, they keep growing new vines and leaves and even keep blossoming. I am going to attempt to keep them alive through the summer and see if maybe we will get anything from them this fall when it cools down. Mostly just to see if I can, but the kids have really loved watering the plants and watching them grow.
I ordered 60 lbs of tomatoes from a local farmer and that order will be here next week. So, guess what we will be doing next weekend? Canning tomatoes!
And this is a what we did with 3 of the tomatoes; Tomato, Basil, Garlic pizza. My kids don't eat it, but Brady and I really like it. I press about 2 cloves of fresh garlic into about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and set it aside. Then I slice the tomatoes, and chop the basil. I pour the olive oil over the pizza crust (sometimes I will make the crust, but I usually just buy the Boboli pizza crust that is already made, cooked and everything) and add the other ingredients. Top with mozzarella cheese..........mmmmm yummy.

2 nice things said:

Rose said...

Your tomatos look really yummy. The tomatos in the store don't taste like home grown tomatos..no comparison. Yea, it's cool that you can do two gardens. Dave's dad does that too and talks to me about his gardens a lot.
Fun!

Walkers said...

I envious that you have fresh tomatoes to eat. My plants finally have blossoms on them and I can't wait! How fun to have three seasons to grow a garden in. The pizza looks yummy.