So, I am very excited because I am going to bottle some tomatoes this year, make some pickles, and hopefully do some peaches too. Tuesday night I went to the church and learned the steps to bottling tomatoes. I am so grateful to the woman in my ward, who donated her time to teach this wonderful skill. It was really fun! Funny, I remember doing peaches and pears once in my life, and I don't think, as a teenager, I would have called it "fun". Although I have always enjoyed eating the bottled fruits etc. (especially Gran's pears.......yum!), I wasn't all that interested in doing the work. Funny how perspective changes as you get older. LOL. Anyway, I am truly ecstatic about this new adventure I am embarking on. I went to Wal Mart last night and bought the necessary "equipment" to get the job done. So, hopefully all will go well in my first attempts to bottle. I am putting in a order for tomatoes through a farmers market, about 30 lbs. I can't wait for them to get here so I can try my hand at this.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 nice things said:
I like your new blog skin.
I really wanted to bottle tomatoes last year but never got any. I like the idea of getting them from a farmers market. Maybe I'll check into it.
Are you using your grandma's recipe for sweet pickles? If so please, please, please send me some. They'r e the best in the world.
When I made jame a few weeks ago I thought it was fun. I probably wouldn't have thought so when I was a teenager either.
I am so excited for you and your canning adventure. Dave and I love to can together and have canned for the past four years. It is very rewarding and yummy too.
Perspective is a powerful thing. Will think many warm thoughts of you as we can this year too. what is this about lavender and mosquitoes?
Post a Comment