So, I have been doing some serious thinking tonight. I asked myself, "What are my goals with my kids as far as teaching them to eat good foods?". Well, I want them to understand that there are things that are good for your body and will you help you be healthy and strong. And there are foods that are really yummy that are okay to eat every now and then, like candy, cake, or in one word, 'sweets'. Also, I want them to appreciate the time I take to prepare them meals that are good for them. Now, after tonight's dinner battle of trying to get Wesley to eat ONE bite of chicken enchilada (which he informed us was poisoned, just like the rice), I have decided that my head-ache at the end is not worth this. He eats well. He loves carrots, broccoli, pasta, rice, cheese, yogurt, apples, breads, french toast, and a few other limited items like Tyson Chicken Nuggets. He doesn't eat chips and candy all day long. He eats small 'snacks' most of the day long and they are things that are good for him. So, is this just silly??? Am I just worried about something that really isn't a problem?? As he gets older, won't he slowly want to try different foods??? And if he doesn't have that desire, does it matter as long as he is eating healthy??? I myself tend to eat more smaller snacks all day..........is that a bad thing???? Dinner time for me, is a time when we can sit down as a family and enjoy a yummy meal and enjoy one another. So, if Wesley chooses not to eat what has been made for dinner, because it is "poisoned", should I really worry about it???? I am done making him special plates; However, should I not let him have yogurt and apples for a snack later if he doesn't eat dinner??? UHHHHGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! What do YOU think????????????
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 nice things said:
I think it is good that you aren't going to be making him "special plates". We do the same thing. I make dinner, and if they want to eat it, fine, but they aren't getting anything else. They just have to wait until the next opportunity to eat, which may be snack time or whatever is next.
it's kind of like a double edged sword...you don't want him to think he doesn't have to eat dinner, but at the same time, you want it to be a peaceful time for ya'll to enjoy each other. Molly outgrew her wanting to eat peanut butter for dinner, so I think weslet will outgrow his:"It's poisened stage." I would still make him taste everything on his plate, at least a bite or two, or three. Sometimes with Molly I will say okay, 2 more bites. then after she takes 2 more bites, I will say...Okay, one more bite. She does it willingly, and then is done. She does however have to take a bite of everything. That way you ensure they get at least part of an actual dinner. Don't do special plates though...I won't do that with anymore kids...nope, tooo stressful.
Don't worry if he skips a meal now and then, kids are tough. I'm sure he'll test you to see if you'll really do what you say. Just offer him dinner anytime he asks for food and don't make a big deal about it. He'll get it real qyick. Whenever we have stur fry Amaya refuses to touch any of it. After skiping a meal, she now just eats the rice plain and has one bit of vegetables. Good luck and stay strong
For the younger kids I try to leave out something I know they'll eat that is part of the original recipe. For instance I leave a half cup of the chicken that I used in the enchiladas to give them if they refuse to eat. For the older kids (and anyone who can) I tell them anything you can grab, you can eat, basically peanut butter on bread or something smallish. And they are SO not allowed to get things that are regular snacks (like cereal or crackers), and they can't get something else if they ate dinner and are still hungry (I try to make well-rounded meals), they can just eat more dinner! We have a lot of rules. Hope something was helpful. And, yes, he'll try things as he gets older. I ate only plain hamburgers until after Robert and I got married (now I love them with onions, lettuce, and catsup)!
Post a Comment