I have been wanting to do a Fourth of July wreath/decoration for the front door for a few years. The above picture was my first attempt. I came up with the idea a few months ago, when I saw a ruffle contest on the rufflesandstuff blog. I never got it done for the contest, dang it! But I did get it done:-) I used a piece of rectangle shape foam, that came in a package. I saved it a while ago, thinking I'd use it sometime. I covered the foam with white fabric (it has a floral pattern in it) and then gathered strips of the red for the ruffled stripes. Then I cut a piece of navy blue and hot glued it all together. Buttons for the stars gives it just the right touch! I am really happy with how it turned out; but just could not put it on my front door like I had planned. Soooo....
I was in Hobby Lobby one day, just meandering around, and I happened to walk down the isle with all of the plastic canvas. My eyes fixated on a package of 10 plastic canvas stars for $1.49, then just below the stars I saw a package of about 4-5 inch circle plastic canvas, also for $1.49. Then my mind was taken back to a trip to JoAnn's, where I had purchased white and red fabric on clearance. My thoughts continued on, mentally going through my fabric stash, and I realized I also had navy blue and other fun fabrics that would work just fine for this idea that was whirling around in my busy little mind. This is what I did after purchasing one package of circle and star shaped plastic canvas.....
I cut out squares of fabric that would cover my plastic canvas. To give it a little "poof", I used some batting and covered the canvas with the batting and my choice of fabric. I used a hot glue gun to secure it to the canvas. Then I took a needle and some navy blue yarn , and stitched around each piece. Then, of course, I hot glued all of the pieces together in a circular shape. I ended up with an extra circle and star, so I made a bow out of yarn and hot glued the star to the circle, and attached them to the wreath part. I would like to find some star buttons to add to it, but other than that, I am happy with how it turned out.
Ahhh...and now I feel ready for July;-)
Friday, June 18, 2010
4th of July Crafts
Posted by Texas Tingey at 6:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 nice things said:
Seriously I need you around to show me these crafts! love it!
You're so talented....I'm in awe of you:)!
How fun... wish you lived closer so we could craft together :)
Hi Debbie, I agree with Jenny, you are so crafty and we are all so into crafts we could have so much fun. I love your awesome flag and your creativity.
Post a Comment